Thursday, January 27, 2011

P.B.'n J. vs. P.H.'n J.!?

Making choices in life constantly confounds me as my flesh battles against the Lord's best for/through me. So, what about today's title? Well, I love to tell others that 'True PEACE, HOPE and JOY are available to me at all times.' This is true if only I welcome the power of HIS presence within me as the Holy Spirit overpowers the enemy's attempts/intentions to rob me of the peace, hope and joy, I've realized I know a LOT of the time.. So, I 'get to' choose between a gooey, fattening, not-very-healthy, peanut butter and jelly sandwich (or another sort of indulgence!) and a much wiser option to eat. When I do choose healthily, the PEACE is worth the 'sacrifice' of not eating whatever was 'calling me' to eat unwisely..
I recall my early college years when I would ask my mentor why I insisted on depriving myself of the 'delight of discipline.' I still ask the same question.. Basically, the answer is that my creator chose to allow me a free will.. He wants me to be able to choose HIS BEST for/through me, rather than 'foist' his presence upon/within me... So, dear readers, I don't know what 'plagues' your mind, causing you to refuse his deliverance a lot of the time, but please join me in desiring the PEACE, HOPE AND JOY HE imparts, over the 'satisfaction?' found in a PEANUT BUTTER AND JELLY SANDWICH. (or anything else that would leave you under conviction and 'wishing 'I hadn't done that!)
As I've typed this, many scriptures have come to mind... How about 'Be transformed by the renewing of your mind,' from Romans 12:1-2 or "Set your minds on things above,....Put to death therefore what ever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry.." from Colossians 3:2-5... We will do these more readily if we 'Fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith who for the JOY set before Him, endured the cross...'(Hebrews 12:2) I'm sure many more came to your mind as you read.. Today, dear reader, may you, along with me, choose our 'claim' to the wondrous Peace, Hope, and Joy that only comes by letting our Lord's presence rule over our earthly nature moment by moment because HE LOVES US!

No comments:

Post a Comment